Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My New Job



About a month ago, I accepted a new position at an Early Childhood Center close to home. It is essentially the same hours that I was working at my previous position as a preschool aide, but there's no comute and the pay is also a little better. It's a much better fit for my family, and I've been getting my feet wet for a few weeks now. 

The school is in a lovely building in a lovely park. It's an old mansion that was once on a rolling plantation. The park that it's nestled in has been gorgeous this Fall--the leaves falling all around us on the playground mesmerize the children and me as well. God's truly amazing in his creation. 

This is the first time in a long time that I've been in a secular environment for a substantial amount of time. I wasn't expecting it to a huge adjustment  but it has been! I'm not used to not being able to talk about my faith or share it with others whenever I feel the internal Call to do so. It's been a bit of struggle for me when I see children who I know could really benefit fromt he Gospel message. 

All of my students are upper class, and there from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. every day. I'm in a two year old classroom. It bums me out that these kids don't get to spend much time with their parents. All of their parents have very lucrative careers--doctos, lawyers and politicians are all represented in my students. It's really made me reflect on our situation. We don't have much, really--being in school and raising a baby is hard on our finacnes. But we do have a lot of time that we get to spend together as a family. And I don't think we could ever trade that time for all the money in the world. I don't mean to sound like I'm judgmental of the parents at my school--they've made the choices that they believe are best for their family and that's really all anyone can ever do. 



No comments :

Post a Comment