Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life before Baby

As any seasoned mother will tell you, EVERYTHING CHANGES when you have a baby. Your life is never the same. Most people say that they don't remember what life was like before they were given the blessing of a child to raise and care for. So I thought I would write an entry about our evening last night. It was a good night, and it was exactly like many nights we've shared in our marriage. I think it's an extremely accurate snapshot of our lives before having a baby.

Never watch this movie. Ever.  
  
































Last night was movie night in our household. This is something we've done a lot since getting married (and probably before getting married as well, though I don't remember). Basically, we rent a movie and pig out. It's not a fancy night out a restaurant or a  romantic night of dancing, but it is definitely one of my favorite things to do with my husband. It's always planned ahead, with the rental of a movie that neither of us has seen. The genre varies greatly. Our favorites are always classics (Josh's was Arsenic and Old Lace. Mine was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner). We've had a few movie flops (In all seriousness, I wouldn't watch Cabin Fever 2 again if you paid me $100. Like I literally would say 'no thanks' We'd have to get up to about $500 before I would even consider it). But it's always a new movie. We start the evening by going to a grocery store and buying our favorite junk food. Last night, I got extra sharp cheddar cheese and fruit roll-up (freaking pregnancy). Josh got chips and french onion dip. Before my pregnancy, movie night was always accompanied by a six-pack (usually Bud-Ligh or Mike's Hard Mango Punch). We don't buy any more groceries other than the junk food for the night. I always joke that it looks like our parents are out of town for the weekend and they gave us $20 to go grocery shopping (beer, candy, sugary cereal. check check and check).

And we go home, watch the movie, eat and cuddle on the couch. It's a ridiculously simple evening. And we love it. Last night, we rented One Day from the Redbox. It was pretty bad. We spent most of the movie making fun of it. But we held one another, gave massages, broke out into tickle fights and just enjoyed one another so fully. We had the additional fun last night of watching my belly move up and down--the Bumblebee is kicking hard! It was a wonderful and perfect night, and we've had many more just like it.

I don't expect movie nights to change much after the baby arrives. It's a pretty easy evening to achieve while our children sleep--no need for babysitters! And it's pretty cheap too. I hope that as our children grow, we can make it into a family tradition. I'm sure our kids will grow to love movies as much as we do. But I do wonder how our relationship and what we do on our evenings alone will change once the baby arrives. I can imagine that it will be difficult to remember how we spent our time. I know that things will get even better and we're not going to want to go back to the time of "just the two of us". But I'm still going to enjoy our quiet evenings, for the next 100 days (and counting!)

1 comment :

  1. Hey Hannah! I've been following your blog and really enjoy reading. I found it from TB (I'm CityBee).

    I left you a little something over on my blog (http://theztree.blogspot.com). Of course you're not obligated to participate, but I wanted you to know how much I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete