Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Happy Birthday Poppy!

We made it up to my scheduled C-section! Poppy Kay was born this afternoon at 1:04, weighing in at 7 lbs, 3 oz and was 20 inches long. We were so blessed for a complication-free pregnancy and delivery this time around. It was such a wonderful experience to actually get to hear my baby cry and wail in the operating room and to spend so much time bonding with her today. (as I write this she is curled up on my chest, fast asleep).

From the time we got to the hospital to when I held her in my arms was about two and a half hours, and let me tell you, every minute snarled by. I'm not sure why time slows down so significantly in the last weeks of pregnancy and then speeds up after the baby comes. I know soon, she'll be a two year old that thinks the only acceptable breakfast is milkshakes and birthday cake (sidenote--Rhett has developed quite the sweet tooth).

Poor Josh had to wait outside the operating room while I had my spinal inserted. He took some pictures of this clock so that we'd always remember what time the surgery started. I think he really needed something to do because I'm pretty sure waiting outside a door while your wife is about to give birth is a really tough thing to handle. 


 Ready to go! I got nauseous from the anesthesia this time, which I didn't expect. I figured that if I was good the first time, I'd be fine this time too. I was wrong. I was terrified of getting sick in the OR but the anesthesiologist was able to give me some medicine pretty quickly that settled my stomach and it wasn't a problem.
I'll spare you the graphic photo of little Poppy being lifted about the curtain, but it was a great moment. We missed it with Rhett because he needed emergency care immediately. It was so nice to see her and to hear her little wails that meant she was healthy and HERE, finally. They got her cleaned up pretty quickly and whisked her off to the nursery for all of the usual tests and measurements. 



The rest of my surgery took about 45 minutes and they felt long. But as soon as I was wheeled into recovery, Josh was able to meet me with our little girl. We're so in love!

Rhett is coming to meet his sister tomorrow morning. I'm so excited to see my little boy become a big brother. I'll be sure to post photos of the big event. 

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

1 comment :

  1. OMG I LOVE ALL THE PICS But especially the third one from the bottom, you look so beautiful!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete