Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday Deals!

Well, as promised, this is my update on the furniture we scored on Black Friday. Babies R Us offered the Graco Lauren crib and matching changing table for $149. This is not too shabby, as the crib alone usually retails for $189. We were planning on heading over to our local store when we woke up to see if they had any left. I didn't fancy the idea of waiting in like at 4 in the morning, and I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed out on the deal, so I figured that would be the best thing to do.

When I checked out the website the night before, it seemed to say that I could get the same deal online, starting at 5 am. So I set an alarm for 4:45, then grabbed my laptop to see if I could get it. To my annoyance, it seemed that they had posted the deals much earlier, because all of the changing tables were sold out (and you couldn't get the crib at a lowered price without the changing table). I stayed up for awhile anyway, and kept refreshing the page to see if there would be any changes. To my surprise, a white changing table became available. I put it and a crib in my cart and was able to check out from the comfort of my bed.


The crib is designed to grow with our child. It can be converted into a toddler bed, and the back part of the crib is a headboard for a full size bed.  White wasn't our first choice. We liked a dark wood. I think white is a little bit girly, and I don't think it will look as nice when it is made into a full bed. So we're going to see if we can get it exchanged at our local store once they get more in stock. If they won't do it, we can certainly make the white work. 


Though it wasn't a purchase, we also acquired a very special cradle this weekend. Josh's parents brought up their family cradle for us to use for the baby. Josh's beloved Opa made it before Josh's oldest sister was born, and Josh and his siblings all used it as infants. We will be putting it in our bedroom, and keeping the baby in their with us for the first few months (there's no way I'm getting up and moving to a separate room when this kid wake up to eat five times each night). We're moving from our current home in the summer. We'll probably use the cradle in our room until the move, and then set up the crib in the new nursery in St. Louis.  The baby will be about 4 months by then, and hopefully sleeping through the night (fingers crossed!) We're going to need to get sheets made for the cradle, and we may replace the mattresses. I'm happy that we get to use this piece of family history, and we all know that Josh's Opa would be proud to have a great-grandchild being rocked to sleep in the cradle he worked hard to make . 

No comments :

Post a Comment