Friday, September 7, 2012

Lifestyle Changes

We've been making some changes in our household and I thought I'd write about them a little bit. We have gotten into some bad habits over the past few years and I've always wanted to correct them 'when we have kids'. Well Rhett's been here for four months, he's becoming more and more aware of his surroundings and as we're in a new home--we figured--why not now? So here it is:

(1) Drastically limited "Screen Time"--So Josh and I love our screens. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, Josh spends a lot of time on his X-Box and we both spend a lot of time watching TV and movies. Instead of "spend time" I should really say "waste time" because that's what it really is! I don't want Rhett around the stuff, so we've moved all electronics to the basement (where he is not allowed) and we have cute way back on our time using these devices.

(2) Clean Eating--I've always been intrigued by the idea of clean eating.  We had been talking a bit about what kind of foods we want Rhett to try throughout his first year and beyond and realized that there's a lot of things that we eat that we don't want him going near. So we figured, if we want him to eat at a certain standard, then we should be doing it too. So we are slowly eliminating all processed food from our diets. Our general rule is that anything we buy can't have more than five ingredients, and we have to be able to pronounce all of them. We are already starting to feel healthier on this diet.

(3) Daily Devotions--when Josh and I were dating, we used to meet at our campus cafeteria every morning for breakfast and devos. We didn't really structure it too much--we'd just open our bible and read a passage or two and then chat about it over toast and juice. We're reprising that this year. Starting the morning 'on the same page' is wonderful, and it's always good to be in The Word.

So I'll probably be writing from time to time about these changes. We're committed to being gentle on ourselves--sudden changes are scary and I think they lead to failure. We hope to transition in these changes completely be the new year. I believe that they will make us a healthier and happier family.

No comments :

Post a Comment